Editor’s note: After this story published, the state also issued a limited curfew that begins Saturday and applies to all nonessential activity between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Read more here.
Long Beach officials on Wednesday night released an updated health order that follows the lead of a new Los Angeles County health order almost exactly, but it includes a few additional restrictions. The order comes as health officials are alarmed after COVID-19 cases have spiked.
“The City of Long Beach will continue to monitor data and consult with Los Angeles County on any possible future restrictions to the Safer at Home Health Order,” officials said.
The full order will be issued Thursday morning and go into effect Friday at 12:01 a.m., but here are the basics:
- Indoor “nonessential” businesses such as retail stores, offices and personal care services will be limited to 25% occupancy.
- Offices for essential businesses, health-care operations or essential infrastructure may operate at no more than 25% occupancy.
- Outdoor service at restaurants, wineries and breweries will be limited to 50% of the maximum outdoor capacity by separating tables by 8 feet. Officials said this is required to ensure that customers can sit 6 feet from workers.
- Outdoor family entertainment centers, like miniature golf sites, parks and batting cages will be limited to 50% of maximum outdoor capacity.
- Personal care services may be performed only by appointment and customers and staff must wear face coverings for the entire service. Services that require either the customer or staff to remove face coverings, such as facials and shaves, are not allowed. Customers may not be offered or consume food or drinks on site.
- Restaurants, breweries, wineries and bars that serve sit-down, dine-in meals, as well as nonessential retail businesses, must close from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. every day. The last customer must be seated and finish their meal in time for the business to be completely closed by 10 p.m. (The county order specifies that pickup and delivery are still allowed during these hours, but it’s unclear if Long Beach allows that.)
- Personal gatherings are permitted outdoors only, with a maximum of three households and 15 people within those households.
- Face coverings are required over your nose and mouth when you are outside your home with few exemptions:
- Children under 2 years old
- People traveling in a car alone or solely with members of their household
- People who are working in an office or a room alone
- People who are actively eating or drinking, provided that they are able to maintain a distance of at least 6 feet away from those who are not members of the same household or residence
- People who are outdoors and maintaining at least 6 feet of physical distancing from others not in their household. (Such persons must have a face covering with them at all times and must put it on if they are within 6 feet of others who are not in their household.)
- People with medical conditions, mental health conditions, or disabilities that prevents wearing a face covering. (This includes persons with medical conditions with which wearing a face covering could obstruct breathing, or those who are unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove a face covering without assistance. Such conditions are rare. Those exempted from wearing a face covering due to a medical condition who are employed in a job involving regular contact with others should wear a nonrestrictive alternative, such as a face shield with a drape on the bottom edge, as long as their condition permits it.)
- People who are hearing impaired or communicating with a person who is hearing impaired, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication
- People for whom wearing a face covering would create a risk to the person related to their work, as determined by local, state or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines
- People who are obtaining a medical treatment involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the medical treatment