Tom Greer, an 80-year-old Long Beach resident who fatally shot an intruder in his Bixby Knolls home last year, will not face criminal charges, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office (LADA).

Long Beach Police Department officers responded to a shots fired call on the 3900 block of Country Club Drive, at Greer’s home, on July 22 around 8:55PM to find a woman who had been shot.

Long Beach Fire Department paramedics responded to the scene and pronounced the woman dead, said LBPD spokeswoman Marlene Arrona.

Later, police learned that two suspects had broken into Greer’s home, where he shot one of suspects.

Prosecutors identified Greer on Monday as a “vulnerable victim” and said he suffered a broken collarbone and many bruises and cuts in the assault. They said he was within his legal rights to shoot the woman, identified as Andrea Miller, as determined by the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

“Thomas Greer is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury,” prosecutors said on the charge evaluation worksheet. “This presumption coupled with a careful review of the evidence presented makes it clear that Thomas Greer exercised his legal and legitimate right of self defense when he shot and killed Andrea Miller. No criminal liability arises from his actions.”

Before reaching their conclusion, prosecutors reviewed police reports, coroner’s reports, crime scene photographs, taped interviews and walked through the crime scene.

At a press conference in July, then-Long Beach Police Department Chief Jim McDonnell said Greer told police that he shot the two suspects, 28-year-old Miller and 26-year-old Gus Adams, with his .22-caliber Smith and Wesson revolver after the suspects attacked him, jumped on him then fled with $5,000 cash from Greer’s safe.

McDonnell said Greer fired rounds inside his home before chasing the unarmed suspects into a nearby alley, where he shot Miller who, while being chased, claimed she was pregnant. In an autopsy report, coroner’s personnel found that Miller was not pregnant.

Prosecutors said Greer dragged Miller back into the garage, hoping Gus Adams would come back to help her.

When Gus Adams returned, prosecutors said he grabbed Greer’s gun and cell phone before making his escape down the alley to a car allegedly driven by his then 49-year-old mother Ruby Adams.

Gus Adams was arrested for the incident and charged with murder, first-degree residential robbery, grand theft firearm and possession of a firearm by a felon. He also was charged with an allegation that he inflicted great bodily injury and elder abuse in the commission of the crime. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted as charged.

Shortly after Gus Adams was arrested, Ruby Adams of Long Beach was arrested and charged with first-degree residential burglary and first-degree robbery, along with an allegation of elder abuse. Prosecutors found Ruby Adams acted as a lookout during the incident, and that Greer was trapped in the house with the burglars because Ruby Adams and a child were blocking the door. She faces up to seven years in prison if convicted as charged.

Both Gus Adams and Ruby Adams have been behind bars since they were arrested in July and are awaiting a preliminary hearing set for February 3.

City News Service contributed to this report.