Two men and two women from Long Beach were hospitalized early Sunday after displaying symptoms of an opiate overdose while at a post-wedding celebration at a rented Santa Barbara house, authorities said.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s deputies originally responded to a call of a man and woman not breathing at about 1:50 a.m. in the 2800 block of Exeter Place. Officials said they were identified as Long Beach residents in their late 30s and were displaying symptoms of an opiate drug overdose.
While deputies and firefighters were treating the pair, another man and woman, also in their late 30s and from Long Beach, began displaying the same symptoms and were treated as well.
Paramedics administered all four patients naloxone hydrochloride, commonly known as Narcan, before they were hospitalized. Narcan blocks life-threatening effects of opioid overdose like extreme drowsiness, slowed breathing, or loss of consciousness, according to authorities.
All four are believed to have snorted a white powder from an unknown source, according to deputies. No drugs were found inside the residence.
About 30 people were inside the home at the time of the incident, authorities said.
Stephanie Rivera covers immigration and the north, west and central parts of Long Beach. Reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter at @StephRivera88.
Support our journalism.
It’s been one year since the Long Beach Post began asking you, our readers, to contribute to keeping local journalism alive in the city.
Thousands have contributed over the past year giving an average contribution of $12.39 a month.
Please consider what the news and information you get every day from the Post means to you, and start a recurring monthly contribution now. READ MORE.