How Long Beach tenants and landlords can get rental assistance

Low-income Long Beach landlords and renters who have experienced financial loss or hardship due to COVID-19 can receive rental assistance starting today.

The city raised federal and state money to create a nearly $29 million tenant assistance fund called the Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

Applications can be submitted online here. The application period will close on May 12, 2021, if enough applications have been received and all the funds have been used up. If money remains, the application period will be extended weekly until all available funds are paid out.

To be eligible, tenants must rent in Long Beach and meet the following criteria:

  • The household has an income equal to or less than 80% of the area’s median household income.
  • One or more people within the household have experienced economic hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • One or more persons within the household may demonstrate the risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.

The Long Beach Rental Assistance Program was established to assist landlords and renters in the city and is separate from the state’s rental assistance program. Applicants are urged not apply for the state program if the unit for which they are seeking assistance is located in Long Beach.

Other details of the program are as follows:

  • The program will prioritize households at or below 50% of the area median income.
  • The program will prioritize assistance to households with overdue rents or low-income renters who have been unemployed for 90 days or more and who are at risk of housing instability.
  • The program will prioritize the payment of overdue rent and utilities before addressing future payments of rent and utilities.
  • Landlords with one or more eligible tenants can request a refund of 80% of the unpaid rent from each eligible tenant between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20% ​​of the unpaid rent during that specific time period.
  • If a landlord submits the application on behalf of their tenant, the tenant must also complete the application and provide the necessary documentation.
  • If a tenant is eligible but their landlord chooses not to participate in the program, they can independently claim 25% of the unpaid rent between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
  • The program will help low-income tenants pay for utilities, both for past-due bills and future payments. Tenants can also apply for up to 25% of their rent for up to three months of future rent.

Support our journalism.

Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

More