The public can now donate various goods and gift cards to help people who are unhoused at all city library locations and other sites throughout Long Beach.
Items that are needed include:
- Hygiene kits or house-warming gift kits (see this Amazon Wish List).
- Backpacks with needed items such as hand warmers, flashlights, battery packs, batteries (usually D batteries), emergency blankets and charging cables.
- Pet care kits with pet treats, collars, leashes, pet toys or collapsible pet bowls.
- Gift cards to places like Target, Walmart, McDonald’s, Taco Bell, In-N-Out, Dunkin’ and grocery stores.
- All sizes of sweatpants, shirts, socks and men’s and women’s underwear, beanies, scarves, caps, hoodies, towels or blankets. Gently used items are accepted.
- Canned food, bottled drinks like juices or water, snacks such as granola bars or power bars, instant oatmeal and instant soup. Perishable, unwrapped and homemade food items will not be accepted.
The items can be dropped off at the following locations:
- All Long Beach Public Library locations during regular operating hours (all library locations are closed Sundays and Mondays).
- Boys and Girls Club of Long Beach (3635 Long Beach Blvd.), Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Scherer Park Community Center, (4654 Pasadena Ave.), Monday through Friday 3 to 6 p.m.
- Gift cards will only be accepted at the city’s Multi-Service Center, 1301 W. 12th St.
Receipts of donations are available at all drop off locations.
The city on Sunday announced it would set up 60 beds at the Multi-Service Center, its hub of social services, due to the cold weather and rain. The emergency beds will be in place at least through Sunday. They will be available at 6 p.m. and cleared away before 8 a.m., when the center opens.
The city’s current winter shelter at Community Hospital is running at capacity, officials said.
City staff were expected to convene early this week to discuss an additional 84-bed shelter at Silverado Park, which has received significant pushback from residents in West Long Beach.