National Bike Month will kick off in Long Beach next month with events and activities for people of all ages to enjoy, including community bike rides and free bike checkups.
The events will start this Sunday at Granada Park from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. with a Bike Month Kick-off and pop-up event. At noon on Sunday, the Long Beach Police Department will be conducting its first of five Bike with a Cop events where cyclists will be able to chat and ride with LBPD officers.
Here is a complete list of Bike with a Cop Events this month:
- Sunday, May 1, at Granada Park at noon
- Saturday, May 7, at Houghton Park at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, May 14, at Silverado Park at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21, at the GoActiveLB Hub at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, May 28, at McArthur Park at 1 p.m.
The city will also be hosting community bike rides throughout the month ending with a 30-mile tour of Long Beach for experienced cyclists. Participants of any of the community bike rides are encouraged to arrive two hours before the scheduled start time if they need to get some practice or make sure that their helmets are properly fitted.
Here is a complete list of community bike rides this month:
- Family Friendly West Long Beach Community Bike Ride: Sunday, May 15, at Admiral Kidd Park at 2 p.m.
- Family Friendly Downtown-Bixby Park Community Bike Ride: Sunday, May 22, at Bixby Park at 2 p.m.
- 30-Mile Tour of Long Beach Community Bike Ride: Sunday, May 29, 9 a.m. at Marina Green at 9 a.m.
All community bike rides are free but participants must register on the GoActiveLB website.
For those who haven’t ridden their bikes in a while, the city will also be hosting a series of free bike check ups to ensure that “everything is running smoothly,” according to the website.
Here is a complete list of free bike check ups this month:
- Saturday, May 7, at Houghton Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Saturday, May 14, at Silverado Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21, at the GoActiveLB Hub from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Saturday, May 28, at McArthur Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Additionally, on Thursday, May 5, bike owners can virtually register their bikes at an event with 529 Garage, a community-powered bike recovery service, in case it ever gets stolen or lost.
A complete calendar list of the city’s upcoming Bike Month events can be found on the GoActiveLB website.