A Long Beach man facing charges including gross vehicular manslaughter for allegedly driving drunk when he fatally struck a 59-year-old man in a wheelchair in an unmarked crosswalk pleaded not guilty Friday.
Joseph Maez, 26, entered his plea to one felony count each of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, driving under the influence of alcohol causing injury and driving with a 0.08% blood-alcohol content causing injury, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Maez was allegedly driving the Honda Civic that struck the victim—identified as Mitchell Morales—who was pushing a cart full of his belongings across Stearns Street at Radnor Avenue at 11:19 p.m. June 12, authorities said.
Morales was pronounced dead at the scene despite life-saving measures attempted by police and fire department personnel.
Maez was arrested June 13 by Long Beach police and released on bond early the next morning, jail records show.
“Driving under the influence is a potentially deadly decision with severe consequences,” District Attorney George Gascon said in a statement announcing the charges last month.
Maez is due back in court on Aug. 16 for a pretrial hearing.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.