Authorities have identified 59-year-old Samuel Davidson as the man who died Wednesday morning in an apartment fire in Cambodia Town.

Fire crews responded to the 1200 block of Walnut Avenue at around 3:30 a.m., where they rescued Davidson from a second-floor unit at the Chez Bon Guest Home, an assisted living facility.

Despite attempts by Long Beach Fire personnel to resuscitate him, Davidson died from injuries suffered during the fire, authorities said.

No other injuries were reported, and the fire was extinguished within 10 minutes of crews arriving, LBFD spokesperson Jack Crabtree said.

The fire was contained to a single unit, and the Red Cross also responded to help at least one other person who had been displaced, Crabtree said.

At this time, it is not clear what started the fire.

Seven hours after being evacuated from the living facility, more than 20 residents lined the sidewalks of Walnut Avenue while waiting to be allowed back into their homes.

Among the residents was 32-year-old Michael Barrett, who has lived at the apartments for almost five years.

Barrett said he was woken up just after 3:30 a.m. by staff at the apartments and was rushed outside alongside other residents.

That’s when he saw “a huge flame” coming from one of the units on the second floor, he said.

“Crazy stuff happens here a lot, but not to this extent,” Barrett said.

Since being evacuated from his apartment, Barrett had been waiting outside with the other residents, who he says didn’t know that someone had died in the fire.

“It’s a tragedy,” Barrett said. “Anyone dying is a tragedy.”

Editor’s note: This story has been updated with the name of the person who was killed, and more information from the scene of the fire.

Police investigate hit-and-run that left bicyclist dead along PCH