Man sleeping in bushes killed after being struck by car near Park Estates neighborhood, police say

A man died early Tuesday morning after being struck by a vehicle near Long Beach’s Park Estates neighborhood, police said.

The traffic collision occurred around 1:51 a.m. along Pacific Coast Highway and Santiago Avenue, an area next to Recreation Park, according to the Long Beach Police Department. The driver of a white van was traveling westbound on PCH when he hit the curb line, entered a flowerbed and ran over several large bushes before slamming into a wall, police said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they requested a tow truck to move the vehicle, according to the LBPD. Upon removing the vehicle, officers discovered an unconscious man who had been lodged underneath the vehicle, police said.

The victim, who police only identified as a 66-year-old man, was pronounced dead at the scene by Long Beach Fire personnel. Police say the victim was sleeping in the bushes when the driver struck him. His identity has not been released as authorities work to notify the next of kin.

The driver, who was not identified, remained at the scene to cooperate with officers during their investigation. Police say distracted driving, impaired driving and speed do not appear to be factors in the collision.

The investigation remains ongoing.

This traffic fatality comes just two days after another man died when he was hit by a car while crossing a street near Atlantic Avenue and 19th Street in Central Long Beach.

Long Beach to begin early planning for Downtown pedestrian safety improvements

Pedestrian killed in traffic collision in Central Long Beach, police say

Support our journalism.

Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.

Fernando Haro is the Long Beach Post's breaking news and public safety reporter.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

More