A person died Wednesday afternoon after being struck by a Metro train in Downtown Long Beach, authorities said.
The fatal collision occurred sometime around 4:02 p.m. in the 100 block of First Street, according to the Long Beach Police Department. When officers arrived at the scene, they located a male victim who had been struck by the Metro A Line Train, authorities said.
Fire Department personnel responded shortly after and pronounced the victim dead at the scene, LBPD spokesperson Richard Mejia said. The LBFD’s heavy rescue engine also responded to the scene.
First Street from Long Beach Boulevard to Pine Avenue and Pine Avenue from Broadway to Ocean Boulevard are closed to traffic and pedestrians for the next several hours as a result of the incident, authorities said.
“The situation is fluid, and the investigation is ongoing,” Mejia said.
Delays are expected for transit riders as authorities work to figure out what happened.
Police have closed off Pine Avenue and Promenade after reports that somebody may have been struck by the Metro Train.
“There are body parts everywhere,” one witness said. More info coming soon. pic.twitter.com/q0fgNdaHuJ
— Fernando Haro (@FernandoAHaro) June 29, 2022
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.