A Los Angeles man was taken into custody this week in connection with the highly publicized attack on a Long Beach high school student earlier this month, and police are still looking for two more suspects, according to authorities.
Eugene Montrell Ausbie, 24, was arrested Monday on suspicion of one count each for kidnapping, robbery and prohibited possession of ammunition, booking records show. Police say Ausbie is the main suspect responsible for the assault that left 16-year-old Jordan High School student Graviela Estrada with cuts and bruises—an incident that garnered headlines around the region.
On May 12, Estrada was walking near the 6100 block of Long Beach Boulevard in North Long Beach when she was approached by a black car occupied by three assailants. One of the men—who police identified as Ausbie—got out of the car, tackled Estrada, physically assaulted her and attempted to take her jewelry.
Estrada told ABC7 that she was walking to get picked up by her mother after school when she noticed the car following her. “I noticed a black car, tinted windows, was right behind me, and a guy was following me too,” she said.
“He threw me onto the ground, and I fell pretty hard on my back, and I hit my head. I almost lost consciousness, just a bit, but I managed to stay up,” she said, according to ABC7. “He was on top of me. I was tossing and turning. I was screaming, and when I was screaming, he was putting his fingers inside my mouth.”
Since the incident, robbery detectives and a special enforcement team have “conducted a thorough and extensive investigation,” the Long Beach Police Department said in a statement Thursday.
Detectives took Ausbie into custody around 6:45 p.m. Monday in the area of Artesia Boulevard and Muriel Avenue, less than a mile from where the incident occurred, police said.
On Wednesday, detectives presented the case to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office for filing consideration. Police say the DA’s office agreed to file the following charges against Ausbie: one count of kidnapping to commit robbery and one count of prohibited possession of ammunition. His bail was increased from $100,000 to $1.05 million. He remains in jail, according to inmate records.
At this time, detectives are still working to identify and locate the two additional suspects involved in this incident, police said. Anyone with information regarding the incident is urged to contact detectives at 562-570-7464.