The 34th annual JetBlue Long Beach Marathon returns to city streets on Sunday, Oct. 7.
Festivities kick off Friday with a health and fitness expo, which continues Saturday. Also Saturday is the Aquarium of the Pacific 5K and Kids Run.
But the main action is Sunday, when more than 15,000 half-marathoners and marathoners will race through city streets.
The marathon and 20-mile bike tour both begin at 6 a.m., and the half-marathoners begin in waves starting at 7:30 a.m.
This year’s route is the same: runners will begin on Shoreline Drive near Rainbow Lagoon, before trekking toward the Queen Mary, then back down Ocean Boulevard, northeast on Livingston, and around Recreation Park and Cal State Long Beach.
The race through the city means several road closures throughout the morning on Sunday, beginning at 5 a.m. Here’s a list of what to expect:
- If you’re not a runner, stay away from Shoreline Drive, especially near where it meets Ocean. The thoroughfare is the site of the start and finish line celebration, and will be closed until 5 p.m.
- Queensway Bridge, northbound, will be closed from Ocean Boulevard to the 710 Freeway until 9:30 a.m.
- Ocean Boulevard will be closed in both directions from Livingston Drive to 54th Street until 11 a.m.
- Livingston Drive from Termino Avenue to Broadway will shut down until 1:15 p.m.
- Nieto Avenue from Appian Way to Broadway will close until 1 p.m.
- Appian Way from Nieto to Park avenues will close until 12:30 p.m.
- Park Avenue from Anaheim Street to Appian Way will close until 12:15 p.m..
- Sixth Street from Park Avenue to Monrovia Avenue will shut until 10:30 a.m.
- Monrovia Avenue from Sixth Street to Fourth Street will close until 10:30 a.m.
- Fourth Street from Monrovia Avenue to Orlena Avenue will close until 10:30 a.m.
- Orlena Avenue from Colorado to Fourth streets will close until 10:30 a.m.
- Colorado from Orlena to Appian Way will close until 10:30 a.m.
- Marine Stadium Drive will close from Nieto to Bayshore avenues until 10:30 a.m.
- Palo Verde southbound will close from Atherton to Anaheim until noon.
- Atherton from Clark to Bellflower boulevards will close until noon.
- Atherton in both directions from Bellflower to Palo Verde avenues will close until 12:15 p.m.
- Clark Avenue from Atherton to Anaheim streets will close until 12:30 p.m.
- Anaheim Street from Pacific Coast Highway to Clark will close until 12:30 p.m.
- Ocean from Livingston Drive to Alamitos Avenue will close until 2 p.m.
A list of suggested routes for getting in and out of neighborhoods, and to and from freeways, is also online.
Support our journalism.
It’s been one year since the Long Beach Post began asking you, our readers, to contribute to keeping local journalism alive in the city.
Thousands have contributed over the past year giving an average contribution of $12.39 a month.
Please consider what the news and information you get every day from the Post means to you, and start a recurring monthly contribution now. READ MORE.