Nonprofit news: Creative Class Collective uplifts Long Beach’s artistic community
From Long Beach Walls to Art Renzei, Creative Class Collective is an organization behind numerous art initiatives in Long Beach.
While the organization formalized around 2018 or 2019, these initiatives have been ongoing for decades, explained director Cassandra Leeman.
Originally conceptualized through the multicultural marketing agency interTrend Communications, Creative Class Collective became an organization to specifically house its community programming, Leeman said.
All of the nonprofit’s programs foster and support creativity within Long Beach—whether it’s through community engagement or assisting those working in creative industries.
Perhaps one of the organization’s most notable programs is Long Beach Walls, which since 2010 has brought murals to public spaces in cities like Honolulu, Seoul, Washington D.C., Taipei and Tokyo as part of the globally recognized World Wide Walls series of street art events.
Places to volunteer in Long Beach
- The Long Beach Bacolod Association is looking for volunteers to help with the MassKara Festival on June 11, an event that will celebrate Philippine Independence Day. Contact Peter Albano Ramirez at 213-440-2707 or [email protected] to get involved.
- Los Cerritos/Bixby Knolls Clean Streets is hosting a cleanup at 8 a.m. on Sunday (May 7) at the Los Cerritos Park. All equipment is provided and the meetup spot is by the restrooms. More information here.
- Long Beach Animal Care Services needs volunteers to feed shelter animals, walk dogs, clean kennels and foster animals. Apply here.
- El Dorado Nature Center has several opportunities to volunteer throughout the month. Spaces in each program are limited and volunteers must call to register in advance. All ages are welcome, but anyone under 18 must bring an adult. To register, and for any questions, call 562-570-1745.
- Every first Saturday, help preserve the Nature Center’s beauty by cleaning the stream, pulling weeds, clearing the trails or spreading mulch, from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Join the Weekend Wetland Warrior team each third Saturday, to protect the critical habitat at Golden Shore Marine Biological Reserve, from 10 a.m. to noon. Meet at 101 Golden Shore Ave.
- Each fourth Saturday, join fellow park-lovers to clean up debris from the park and lakes, from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Meet at the parking lot next to the pedal boat dock in Area III.
Ways to give in Long Beach
- The Long Beach Homlessness Coalition, a local nonprofit, accepts donations that go toward raising awareness, identifying needs, coordinating services and addressing issues for unhoused Long Beach residents. Donate here.
- The Long Beach Rescue Mission is collecting items from toiletries to canned goods to support adults and children experiencing homelessness. A list of needed essentials can be found here. Items can be dropped off Monday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Samaritan House, 1335 Pacific Ave.
- Love in the Mirror is hosting Do Good with Chipotle on June 4, during which 33% of event sales will help support the nonprofit, which encourages youth-led volunteering and community service. The event will be held at Chipotle at 1800 Ximeno Ave. from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Long Beachers doing good
Are you volunteering in Long Beach? Send us a picture and tell us about your impact on our community!
Email us at [email protected] to share a place to volunteer, a way to give or how you’re doing good in Long Beach and we may include it in our weekly newsletter.