Doing Good in the LBC is a weekly newsletter where we’ll share how you can volunteer or give back in our city. We’ll also share the latest goings-on of nonprofit organizations in Long Beach.
New van will help Boys & Girls Clubs of Long Beach expand field trips
By JJ Fiddler
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Long Beach became more mobile this month when Bridgestone Americas provided the grant funds to purchase a new transportation van for the local youth organization.
“We’re grateful to Bridgestone for giving us the funds to be able to add to our fleet and impact more kids in this community,” said Boys & Girls Clubs of Long Beach’s Vice President of Development and Marketing Kari Cho.
Long Beach is one of 12 Boys & Girls Clubs chapters to receive a new van as part of the Bridgestone Americas Driving Great Futures initiative. Bridgestone Corporation is the world’s largest tire and rubber company.
“This will strengthen the Club’s ability to serve our community’s young people, setting more kids and teens on path toward a great future,” said the chief executive officer for Boys & Girls Clubs of Long Beach Don Rodriguez.
This is the first time the Boys & Girls Clubs of Long Beach have received a van donation from Bridgestone.
Places to volunteer in Long Beach
- The Ronald McDonald House has many volunteer opportunities available, including cooking meals, baking, helping at events, collecting wish list items, cleaning, data entry and more. Fill out an application form here and a staff member will reach out shortly.
- St. Mary Medical Center is looking for nutrition and dietetic volunteers to answer phones for food requests from the patient care departments, assemble trays and assist with the tray line, plus help with other projects. Reach out to Volunteer Services Coordinator Kim Whitsett at 562-491-9766 to get involved.
- Help Rancho Los Cerritos with guiding visitors, assisting with exhibits, helping out in the garden, or welcoming and registering guests. Fill out this form to get started.
Ways to give back in Long Beach
- This Thursday, July 27, order from Deli News Pizza and 15% of your bill will be donated to spcaLA—just make sure to mention “spcaLA” when ordering in-person or in the section for order notes, comments or special instructions when ordering online (third party delivery apps are not included). Deli News Pizza is located at 5555 Stearns St. Suite 104.
- Support Ground Education, a nonprofit that brings garden lessons and green spaces to LBUSD schools, by making a contribution here.
- Make a contribution to M.O.R.E. Mothers, a nonprofit that supports mothers from marginalized communities by providing basic needs, workshops and support groups, among other services. Learn more here.