The month of May marks not just National Biking Month, but Long Beach’s annual Bike Fest, a downtown take-over celebrating all things two-wheeled (including an inaugural Long Beach crit from racing gods Wolfpack Hustle).
For those uninitiated in either biking around downtown or biking for amusement in general, Downtown Long Beach Associates (DLBA)—the main sponsor of Bike Fest—has created a massive map that caters to bicyclists wishing to travel routes both short and long.
- A 1.3-mile loop from the Berlin parklet at 4th & Elm down through the Promenade (pitstop at Beachwood and Congregation for some brews, anyone?);
- A 2-mile loop that starts and ends at the Museum of Latin American Art while visiting the galleries and shops of the East Village Arts District;
- A 3-mile loop that starts at the Promenade and traverses through the Historic Willmore City District with views of some pretty epic homes, such as the 1906 Bembridge House;
- A 3.5-mile loop that focuses on the LA River with views of the Queen Mary and the Port of Long Beach while also trekking through the aforementioned Willmore City;
- Our personal favorite loop, a 5-mile round-trip trek which starts at the Promenade, heads down Pine and makes pitstops at Rainbow Harbor and the Lighthouse as well as the Aquarium and the Queen Mary;
- And a final 8-mile round-trip look that takes bicyclists from downtown to the top of Signal Hill for some of the best views of the downtown skyline.
For now, the map is only available online. However, waterproof, durable copies of the map will be handed out at Bike Fest, as well as at various downtown offices, bike shops, businesses, hotels and attractions.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.